Repetitive Strain Injury/Questions about trigger point therapy and muscles

Question
Hi, Julie. It's Shane again. I'd just like to update you on my situation and I have a few questions I'd like to ask you as well.

Is there ever an amount of force that's too much to apply to a muscle when squeezing it? I know the suggested force is as much as can be endured, but is there potential to cause damage to surrounding blood vessels and nerves if the force is too much?

I have been getting good results from the trigger point therapy so far, but there have also been some concerning symptoms generated as well. These have occurred with the sternocleidomastoid and splenius capitus muscles.

I have had no issues treating the lower mastoids at all. However, there was a slight issue the last time I treated the upper mastoids (the place right at the insertion point). I had no problems while treating the muscle at the time, but post-treatment I noticed there was some swelling. I figured this was normal so I didn't worry about it. However, the next morning I had several (maybe 4) bouts of faintness. I would be sleeping and then would suddenly be awoken by the sensation of losing consciousness. I was fine when I awoke later in the day and was also fine that night. As a matter of fact I felt better than I did the previous night. So I was just wondering if the reaction I had was normal. I'm looking forward to treating the upper mastoids again but I'll feel a little better if I can be assured that it isn't dangerous.

I had a similar issue treating the splenius capitus. However, the faintness I felt this time occurred during the treatment of the muscle and lasted well after. Again, I have no problems at all if this is a normal reaction. I'd just like to know if it is at all dangerous to be doing this because I don't want to damage any nerves or blood vessels.

And my last questions is - Which muscles are involved during the Valvasa maneuver? This action seems cause me the most symptoms so it's likely that the muscles involved in this are my main issue.

Thanks again as always for you time and expertise

Answer
Hi Shane,

No, this is not a normal reaction and it's telling me that when you are treating your sternocleidomastoid that you are putting pressure on your carotid artery. I have never heard of the Valvasa maneuver so I can't answer this question.

Did you get my book, "Treat Yourself to Pain-Free Living?"  The book explains how to avoid the carotid artery when you are treating the SCM. It's possible that when you were treating the insertion point you just went a bit too far down into the center of the muscle.  I don't think it was pressure, but always keep the pressure at a "hurts so good" level, not using as much pressure as you can apply.

I've never had anyone have a negative response from the splenius capitus muscle, perhaps you're pressing on the cervical vertebrae and moving them?  It's important not to move bones, leave that up to the chiropractors. Many times, if you're releasing the pressure the tight muscle is placing on the bones, the vertebrae will move on their own, and that's okay, as long as you aren't pushing on the bones.

As for waking up with the problem during the night. I suspect that you are sleeping in a position that puts pressure on your carotid artery. Do you have your head turned to the side while you sleep?  For example, if you sleep on your side, your face is angled toward either the ceiling or the pillow, or if you're on your back, your head is turned to the side.  If you sleep on your stomach you are causing so many problems in your neck that I can't list them all here. That's the only position that I suggest you work to avoid since it does cause so many problems in the entire spine.

Wishing you well,
    Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT