Repetitive Strain Injury/muscle problems in my shoulder or back

Question
I think I have a injured muscle in my upper right side of my back. May have injured it a long time ago.
When I play golf my right arm will suddenly stick out away from my body. This can happen any time during the round.
There is no pain involved and I don't know this is happening until I start hitting the ball off the shank of the club.
At this point my body won't do what my mind what's it to.
This muscle spams will just throw the club out farther than it should
This really screws up a golf swing.
When my arm rest along my body it's fine.
When my arm is protruding out I cannot hit the ball right.
I think the warmer it is the less my arm goes out also when this happens if I stretch my arm or rub between my spine and shoulder blade, my arm will go back along my body for a short time or until I swing again.
Anything I can do to stop this?

Answer
Hi Kenneth,

There are two muscles that I'm considering as you are explaining this problem.  Your lateral deltoid is on the very outside of your shoulder and when it contracts you bring your arm up and straight out from your body.

The muscle you are describing is the upper and lower fibers of the trapezius muscle because they upwardly rotate your shoulder blade (scapula). The area you are describing that you rub to help is the lower fibers. The odds are you aren't getting complete relief because the other muscles are in spasm too.

If you go to http://www.julstro.com you can read about all of the muscles of the shoulder, including links to excellent graphics that will show the muscles and the actions.  Plus, you'll read how you can learn to treat each of these muscles easily.

To begin, I suggest you get a tennis ball and put it on the muscles, and then lean into a wall. When you find the tender points, you are on the spasms that need to be released.  You'll find that releasing the spasms before trying to stretch will be most effective.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT