Repetitive Strain Injury/Question about muscles that insert into the occipital region

Question
Hi Julie. I have a few knots along a tight muscle that runs up my neck and inserts into the base of my skull (the occipital region i think). This might be the splenius capitus muscle. Anyways, I was wondering if it is safe to the squeeze the muscle in this area (at it's insertion point). The muscle is literally right on top of the bone.

I also have another question. Whenever I lie on my back I begin to feel the back of my head pulsate. This only happens when pressure is applied. I was wondering if you believe this could be muscle-related.

Thanks

Answer
Hi Shane,

I agree with you that splenius capitus is involved, and I would think that splenius cervicis, levator scapulae, and even trapezius are involved. The trapezius muscle also originates directly on your occipital bone, and the other two muscles originate/insert into your top cervical vertebrae, so they can be pulling the vertebrae out to the side and down, causing pain at the base of your skull, and also causing massive headaches.

Fortunately when you are treating one muscle, to a certain degree you are treating the others. I suggest you also work all the way down to your shoulder so you will treat the belly of the levator scapulae and trapezius muscles.

Do you already have my book, "Treat Yourself to Pain-Free Living?"  I know I've spoken to someone named Shane in the past, although I don't know that he was you. I believe he had my book.  In any case, the treatment for all of the muscles are in the book.

Meanwhile, if you go to http://www.julstro.com you can get a lot of information about neck pain along with links to graphics of each of the muscles so you can see how they move your head.

I do think that the pulsating feeling could be coming from muscles, but I would feel a lot more comfortable if, for your safety, you checked that out with your physician as it could also be more serious.

Wishing you well,
    Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT