Repetitive Strain Injury/shoulder/bicep pain

Question
I was wiping up the floor with a cloth.  I rinsed the rag and in the process of wringing it, I had severe pain in my shoulder and upper, outer arm (bicep, I think).  Went to after hour clinic.  Given morphine and I had taken vicodin at home (Dr knew this).  Relieved pain by half. I can lift my arm up and down and back and forth, but not across my body. It's my right arm, I can't reach to my left side without severe pain.  Otherwise, pain in minimal in bicep.  Dr thought bursitis or tear.  In sling for 3 days.  What do you think it could be? Any other tests? Xrays negative. Severe pain is 10 out of 10.  At rest pain about 2. If I shrug my shoulder, it ha slight pain, more like an ache. Severe pain is very sharp.
Thanks
Victoria

Answer
Hi Victoria,

I've read your message several times to get a clear picture of what is happening to you. The fact that you can move your arm up and down eliminates several muscles from the mix, and the same with back and forth. Although I'm assuming here that you mean straight forward, right?  

I believe the muscle causing the problem is your infraspinatus.  If you go to http://www.julstro.com/joint_pain you can read more about why a tight muscle will cause joint pain.  In the case of the infraspinatus, it pulls your shoulder back, it's actually one of the rotator cuff muscles.  When it is in spasm you can't bring your arm across your body to touch your opposite arm.

It's easy to self-treat this muscle to force out the toxins that are causing the spasms, plus then self-treating all the other muscles that impact your shoulder blade. For now, try taking a tennis ball and hold it in your left hand. Bring your left hand across your body to put the tennis ball on your right shoulder blade, and then lean into a wall.  Find the "hot spot" and put enough pressure on it that it "hurts so good."  There's more to that treatment, but this should tell you if the muscle is actually in spasm, and it should also help to bring that pain level down a good bit.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT