Repetitive Strain Injury/RSI, lower back, sciatic nerve

Question
I read the excellent response on this topic just now and I need some suggestions or places I can go for consultation - unfortunately I am not in the USA as I moved to France almost a year ago, and purchased a house for conversion/renovation at the beginning of this year (2015).  For months I blamed my very uncomfortable bed for waking up in the morning feeling like I had been run over with a truck, then thought I had pulled a muscle, developed sciatic nerve pain, saw Doctor who sent me to kinestherapie, and was getting better when I discovered the REAL cause of my problem..... The weather turned cold, and as the building work was still awaiting permits and I had no central heating I had to light the wood burner :(  I carried in a load of logs - saw my reflection in the window, lit the fire, and on my knees, bent and twisted to load a log into the fire - felt it and I knew .... 4 months of RSI, all day, 7 days a week. Now back to where I started before the therapy and looked up RSI on the internet. Now I know the cause, I have to fix it - but my biggest worry is, have I done too much damage for complete resolution or is improvement all I can plan on? I am normally a very, active, healthy person and this is very difficult for me.

Answer
Hi Stephanie,

I'm happy to say that the odds are you haven't done too much damage and that you'll be able to get it resolved with a bit of focused attention.  It's pretty complicated to explain so I suggest you go to http://www.julstro.com and look at the section about the low back.  

In brief, the muscles that pull you into the sitting/forward bending position have gone into spasm. This causes your pelvis to rotate forward and down, which in turn pushes your pelvis up in the back.  As this is happening it causes the bone to press into your sciatic nerve.  Before we would ever do any treatment in your sciatic nerve area (the butt), we need to address the muscles in the front so the pressure is taken off the pelvis.

When you are on the website you will see that I do Skype consultations, so it's not a problem that you are in France.  There is a ton of information on that website, plus you'll find the blogs to be informative.  After you have looked at it, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.  I truly believe that you will be able to self-treat each of the muscles that are causing this painful problem.

Wishing you well,
    Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT