Repetitive Strain Injury/Back pain while walking and standind after injuries

Question
I have had 4 back injuries all on the job injuries, within 15-16 years of doing the same type of work, lots of repetitious lifting, bending, turning, twisting,reaching, pushing, pulling. 10-15 hours a day 15-16 years. In 1999 I had a torn herniated lumbar disc took me quite awhile to get back to some kind of normalcy. 2012 another injury lumbar sprain/strain I was off work for 5 months. About three days of the first symptoms of the injury, sharp stabbing pain in lower back doing certain movements. After the three day of it, every time I would do repetitious movements as listed above, within 15-20 minutes my whole lower back would stiffen up with sharp, throbbing pain going in lower back, hips, butt, and upper thighs. Causing me to sit right away about 5-10 of sitting pain goes away. This went on the whole time I was off. Finally got a Epidural injection Feb 15 2013, it was instant relief all the way up to Feb 9 2015. Then I had got another injury identical to the 2012 injury, but this time after the fist three day of that same sharp, stabbing pain when doing certain movements. Being able to do repetitious movements as listed above the time frame is shorter, any where from 5-15 minutes depending on the type of repetitious movements.
Could this have turned into an occupational disease? Due to injuries and the repetitious nature of my job and over exposure.

Answer
Hi Eric,

I wouldn't call what you are experiencing a disease, however I would define it as a repetitive strain injury. I imagine you have already had all the diagnostic tests the doctors could offer, right?  

All of the movements you mention will contract the various muscles that either originate on your lumbar vertebrae and your pelvis, or will insert into those bones.  An insertion of the muscle always moves toward the origination point, so you feel the pain at the insertion, although the spasm is actually most likely in the belly of the muscle. A disc can bulge or herniate when a muscle is putting so much pressure on the vertebrae that it is pulling the bones tightly together, and the disc is forced out the side of the structure -- similar to stepping on a jelly donut and the filling will shoot out the opposite side.

The four primary muscles are:
1: your psoas and iliacus muscles are responsible for bending forward, and sitting down.
2: the quadratus lumborum, pulls you to the side, and
3: a thigh muscle, the rectus femoris, holds your pelvis down and because of a domino-effect ultimately causes sharp pain when you try to stand up.  

The Epidural injection blocks the pain, but it doesn't eliminate the source of the pains, which in this case are the tight muscles putting pressure on the bones.

If you go to http://www.15MinuteBackPainSolution.com you can read about the muscles that cause low back pain, and see that there is an eBook that walks you through a self-treatment protocol to release each of the muscles that cause low back pain.  Also, on http://www.FlexibleAthlete.com there is a safe-stretching DVD program that shows you how to self-treat all the muscles in your body, and then walks you through a safe, yoga-style stretching routine to release the muscle tension.

As you treat the muscle spasms, and then stretch the tight muscle fibers, you will stop having the pain and be able to continue to work more comfortably.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT