Repetitive Strain Injury/awful back pain

I was told my SI joint is the problem. I recently broke my foot and it's still very tender and I know I favor it but the pain in my back brings me to tears.  I stretch my thigh muscles, and do what seems to make sense but I get very little relief.  I was a yoga instructor so I have tried a few of those stretches too.  Maybe you can give me a suggestion?

Hi Annette,

I once broke my left ankle in half - both bones. It was terrible and after surgery I was non-weight bearing for 3 months. I ended up with severe SI joint pain because of putting all of my weight on my right leg.  Your broken foot is very likely the cause of your SI joint pain, and it can be released, but you need to first eliminate all of the spasms from your low back to your foot.  

I suggest you take a look at so you can read about the muscles of the low back and legs. Also, you'll see a DVD program called "Focused Flexibility Training" that teaches how to self-treat each muscle, followed by a 30 minute yoga session.

As a yoga instructor you have a much better understanding of the muscles and how they affect joints. As you were taking your weight off your broken foot, it caused you to jut your hip out in an exaggerated manner in order to maintain your balance.  This caused the muscles to go into a spasm and put a strain on the insertion points of each muscle. The key is releasing the spasms before stretching.

On the website you will see how you can learn to self-treat all of the muscles, and then when all of the muscles are free of spasms, I suggest you do your yoga slowly and deliberately.  Any yoga postures that stretch your psoas, especially the Sphinx, will help. Lying on a tennis ball (the ball shown on the website is better because it is hard in the center and soft on the outside)that is directly on your SI joint. Move your body to put additional pressure on the ball so you can begin to ease your SI joint back into place.  It won't be an immediate adjustment, but as you keep releasing the spasms, and working on the joint, it will go back.

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly  

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT

I can accept questions that relate to chronic or acute pain caused by muscle spasms and contractions. Repetitive Strain Injury is actually Cumulative Trauma to muscles. Releasing the spasm &/or contraction will relieve the strain that is felt at the insertion point on the bone. I am the co-developer of the unique safe-stretching program "Focused Flexibility Training," which combines easy instruction for self-treating spasms throughout your body with proven yoga stretches. I have recently authored two new books: "The 15 Minute Back Pain Solution," and "The Secret to Your Best Golf Game EVER!

Since 1989 I have been working with endurance athletes and individuals suffering from chronic pain conditions. I have authored seven self-treatment books and three self-treatment DVDs and I have developed the Julstro System for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, Trigger Finger, and other Hand/Wrist pain. I am a national and international presenter at conventions, seminars, and workshops. Principle topics are "Work Shouldn't Hurt," and "The Pain Free Athlete." In 2005 and 2006 I was the massage therapist for ultracyclists competing in the Race Across America (RAAM) 3000+ mile race from San Diego, CA to Atlantic City, NJ. I've taught the Julstro techniques to physical therapists at the Cleveland Clinic, to massage therapists in areas around the USA, and I've taught Julstro self-treatment clinics to dancers at Juilliard School of Performing Arts (NYC),the sprinting team at NC State, and I am working closely with several Olympic-hopeful. We have successfully eliminated the repetitive strain injuries that could keep them out of the Olympic Games, and the best part is they know how to do the self-treatments so they can stay pain-free and flexible.

Triathlete Magazine, Endurance Magazine, multiple national and international trade journals.

Swedish Institute of Allied Health, NY, NY - Initial education in massage therapy Licensed NYS Massage Therapist since 1989. SUNY Empire State College, Saratoga Springs, NY - B.Sc. degree in Interdisciplinary Health Education I was an Associate Professor helping to develop the massage training program for SUNY Rockland Community College

Privacy prevents me from filling in this section without prior consent from my clients. Life Experience: I have been specializing in the treatment of chronic pain and sports injuries since receiving my NY massage license in 1989. A personal bout with carpal tunnel syndrome was the catalyst to my developing a self-treatment that heals the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome quickly and without surgery. My work with endurance athletes was the inspiration to teach people how to self-treat so they could stop pains even during a race or heavy training day. Both of these situations ultimately became the products that are sold on my websites: and I currently treat people in my offices in Sarasota, FL, Cary, NC, or Pearl River, NY