Repetitive Strain Injury/grey fingers

Question
Hi Dr. I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel in both hands (right worse) many years ago. I have issues with numbness tingling pain I wake up sometimes and have to shake them etc...

I don't know if related but yesterday I was standing up with my hand in my trousers pocket. I took it out and noticed my fingers had turned dark grey!I showed them to my husband and he pressed on them leaving white indent and then they returned to normal.

Could it be related to C.S??

40 yes female Hashimoto thyroiditis

Recently had blood tests /Heart check with echo all was perfect . I exercise with Trx Strength training

Thanks!

Answer
Hi Anta,

I understand your fear. Thank you for the compliment, however I am not a doctor. I want to make clear that while I am an expert in repetitive strain injuries, my background is I am a licensed massage therapist who has specialized in the treatment of chronic pain for the past 27 years. I also had been diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel syndrome, and it was during that time that I developed the self-treatment that eliminated all the symptoms I was experiencing. I have been teaching that self-treatment protocol since 1997. You can read about it by going to either http://www.CarpalTunnelTreatment.org, or http://www.Julstro.com and clicking on the rest of the graphic on the homepage.

When you get to the page you will see that the nerves, specifically the median nerve, originates as one of a bundle of nerves in your neck, called the brachial plexus. The median nerve separates from the bundle at the top of your shoulder, and passes under a bone called the coracoid process, which is a part of your shoulder blade. There are two muscles, your pectoralis minor, and the short head of your biceps, that insert on this bone. If the muscles are tight, or in spasm, they will pull the bone down onto the nerves. This will cause tingling and burning that will be felt all the way to the fingers.

You will see that your axillary artery also passes under this bone, so the muscles pulling on the bone can also put an impingement on to the artery. This can hamper the blood flow to your hand.

It has been my experience while working with my own carpal tunnel symptoms, and those of many other people, that if your arm is raised, and held that way for an extended period of time, such as when you are sleeping and your time is up over your head, that the bone will be pressing on both the nerves and the artery. That is why bringing your arm down and shaking your hand will stop the sensations because the bone has been lifted off the nerves and artery.

I'm happy to say that the self-treatments I developed completely eliminated all of my symptoms, including pain, numbness, tingling, and the circulation problem that was caused by the bone pressing on my artery. The self-treatments have helped thousands of people through the years. Muscles are frequently overlooked while searching for the cause of the symptoms are common to carpal tunnel syndrome.

So in answer to your question, yes, it is my opinion that the same muscles and bones that cause the symptoms of tingling, numbness, and burning in your hand, can also cause this circulation problem. Naturally there can be other causes, and the only one I'm experienced with is muscular, but I'm confident in say that muscles are very frequently the cause.

Wishing you well,
Julie Donnelly  

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT