Repetitive Strain Injury/spasms

QUESTION: age-21 , Male
i want to ask that it is right to workout with having spasms. I have spasms in left back shoulder.Is there any treatment to eliminate spasms?
i have talked to earlier also , you suggested me tennis ball therapy , but afer some days of relief spasms come back.
i am depressed of not working out:-(

ANSWER: Hi Nitin,

The most encouraging thing is you said after treating the spasms you felt good for several days. That tells me you did the self treatments correctly. Are you on any type of medication that has a known side effect of causing muscle spasm's? If not, then it is my opinion that this is just a normal situation.

Spasms are frequently caused by repetitive movement, including exercise. It's not a problem that the spasms return, and it's not unusual for people to have spasms in their muscles. The important thing is you do know how to release them with the tennis ball. The repetitive things you do every day, including things as simple as driving your car, and working at your job, will cause spasms to form in the muscles.

Have you been to http// That website will give you a great deal of information about muscle spasm's and how to treat them.

I suggest that you return to your exercising and save 10 minutes at the end of every session to treat the muscles you have just exercised. That will force out the toxins that built up during the session, bring blood in to heal the micro-tears and spasms that form during the exercise. The blood will heal the muscles and you will be just fine.

Just as you need to brush your teeth every day, you also should treat the spasms either every day or at least frequently. They will return, but it's not a problem.

Wishing you well,
Julie Donnelly

vit. d3 report
vit. d3 report  
QUESTION: thank you for answering.
no i am not into any medication that will cause spasms but doctor said that you have vitamin D3 deficiency so i got tested and it was there. it has been 4-5 months since that day.
i want to ask spasms are able to eliminate? i have also attached report.

Hi Nitin,

In answer to your question about eliminating spasms, the response is "YES."  I'm happy to say that when you eliminate the cause of spasms, they do release.  Most of the time spasms are caused by repetitive strain on the muscle fibers.  This would include and repetitive movements you do at work (such as typing on a computer for hours) or for your enjoyment (such as playing sports, exercising, or working).

I am not a medical doctor so I can't read your report, or make any comments on it.  Did you visit the website that I mentioned?  Once you know how muscles cause pain, it's simple to self-treat the spasms and release the discomfort you are experiencing.

It's good that you have seen your doctor and eliminated anything serious, now it is time to look into treating the muscles to release the tight muscles.

While you are on, I suggest you consider the eBook, "Treat Yourself to Pain-Free Living" as this eBook has all you need to find, and then release, the spasms. Have you added D3 supplementation to your diet?  Have you considered going to a local massage therapist?

Wishing you well,
   Julie Donnelly

Repetitive Strain Injury

Julie Donnelly, LMT

I can accept questions that relate to chronic or acute pain caused by muscle spasms and contractions. Repetitive Strain Injury is actually Cumulative Trauma to muscles. Releasing the spasm &/or contraction will relieve the strain that is felt at the insertion point on the bone. I am the co-developer of the unique safe-stretching program "Focused Flexibility Training," which combines easy instruction for self-treating spasms throughout your body with proven yoga stretches. I have recently authored two new books: "The 15 Minute Back Pain Solution," and "The Secret to Your Best Golf Game EVER!

Since 1989 I have been working with endurance athletes and individuals suffering from chronic pain conditions. I have authored seven self-treatment books and three self-treatment DVDs and I have developed the Julstro System for the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, Trigger Finger, and other Hand/Wrist pain. I am a national and international presenter at conventions, seminars, and workshops. Principle topics are "Work Shouldn't Hurt," and "The Pain Free Athlete." In 2005 and 2006 I was the massage therapist for ultracyclists competing in the Race Across America (RAAM) 3000+ mile race from San Diego, CA to Atlantic City, NJ. I've taught the Julstro techniques to physical therapists at the Cleveland Clinic, to massage therapists in areas around the USA, and I've taught Julstro self-treatment clinics to dancers at Juilliard School of Performing Arts (NYC),the sprinting team at NC State, and I am working closely with several Olympic-hopeful. We have successfully eliminated the repetitive strain injuries that could keep them out of the Olympic Games, and the best part is they know how to do the self-treatments so they can stay pain-free and flexible.

Triathlete Magazine, Endurance Magazine, multiple national and international trade journals.

Swedish Institute of Allied Health, NY, NY - Initial education in massage therapy Licensed NYS Massage Therapist since 1989. SUNY Empire State College, Saratoga Springs, NY - B.Sc. degree in Interdisciplinary Health Education I was an Associate Professor helping to develop the massage training program for SUNY Rockland Community College

Privacy prevents me from filling in this section without prior consent from my clients. Life Experience: I have been specializing in the treatment of chronic pain and sports injuries since receiving my NY massage license in 1989. A personal bout with carpal tunnel syndrome was the catalyst to my developing a self-treatment that heals the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome quickly and without surgery. My work with endurance athletes was the inspiration to teach people how to self-treat so they could stop pains even during a race or heavy training day. Both of these situations ultimately became the products that are sold on my websites: and I currently treat people in my offices in Sarasota, FL, Cary, NC, or Pearl River, NY