Reptiles/snake on patio

Kbekker wrote at 2009-01-22 02:04:36
The snake in the photograph is a northern water snake, Nerodia sipedon, not a fox snake and defiantly not a massasagua.

mike wrote at 2010-12-04 19:22:17
That is clearly a northern water snake (Nerodia sipedon).  

If the original person had looked at where you were located, he would have seen that Cincinnati way out of the range of both fox snakes and massasaugas. Additionally, the patterning and morphology of a fox snake is completely different than the pictured Northern Water snake.  Massasaugas are habitat specialists, endangered, and only found in several select preserves in Ohio. Really surprised at the inaccuracy of answer honestly...

Jeff wrote at 2011-07-07 22:51:46
I know this is an old question, but the snake in that picture is a young northern watersnake. The lip markings give it away right off the bat, but the pattern is typical of a young water snake. Note how the pattern extends down the side of the snake. Neither fox snakes nor massasaugas do that. Also, You can tell this is not a massasauga by the shape of the pupil.

Pat Connor wrote at 2013-07-19 01:09:21
The snake is a juvenile Northern Water Snake. They are harmless. Neither Fox Snakes or Massasaugas are found in your area.  

Reptiles

Adam Peters