Reptiles/Our 11yr old Russian Tortoise is very ILL!

josh wrote at 2010-05-13 19:06:55
i am not one to judge but u can not put a tortoise in the water. that is the whole point of tortoise he is not a turtle there habitat is in the desert not the water i hope your turtle gets better sooon good luck p.s swithch his  diet to lettuce anything but ice berge luttuce

Pavel wrote at 2013-09-03 20:37:15
You can put a tortoise in the water as a short bath. Water is required for a tortoise. Just keep an eye on him and do not fill up the water so that he cannot get his head above it. (He will keep his head up.) A bath lasting of 20 minutes 2x's a week is best.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.