Reptiles/unknown rattlesnake

ThamnElegans24 wrote at 2012-06-06 01:18:44
I'm not sure how Joel got his "Expert" status, but that animal is clearly a Mottled Rock Rattlesnake (Crotalus lepidus lepidus) and not a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake (Crotalus atrox). Amelanism is a genetic trait that does not affect the overall pattern of an animal. So if that was a true "amelanistic" Diamondback it would still have the iconic diamondback pattern. And as for the other characteristics that Joel mentioned, rings on the tail and eye stripes, those are common traits found in most rattlesnake species. But don't take my word for it, simply google "amelanistic western diamondback rattlesnake" and "mottled rock rattlesnake" and see which one most closely resembles the snake in the photo.

keithbrekhus wrote at 2012-12-04 08:23:40
Im not sure about the amlenastic Diamondback. To me it looks like it could be a Mottled Rock Rattlesnake (crotalus lepidus lepidus). They are a fairly small species (a typical adult might be about 14-18 inches long although they can grow to 30 inches) but they have considerable variation in color. Just try a google image search of Mottled Rock Rattlesnake and compare it to Amelanistic Western Diamondback and see what you think.

Keith Brekhus

keithbrekhus@gmail.com

Reptiles

Joel La Rocque