Reptiles/Wild Leopard Gecko

Tony wrote at 2013-07-09 11:27:19
On the contrary, it IS entirely possible that what you found was a leopard gecko, as leopards are common pets in America and virtually every animal known to mankind that's kept as a pet, IF it can survive in the wild, WILL eventually be introduced. So it's possible that formerly-captive leopard geckos were introduced to the ecosystem and have established a stable population.

But it's more likely that what you found was a Texas Banded Gecko or a Reticulate Banded Gecko. Both are native to Texas, rather than potential introduced species, and they look similar to leopards.

It's well past time for your decision on the matter, but as is the case with all house-kept geckos, you should keep the animal in a terrarium and let it adjust to your presence, its new environment, and your scent before you try handling it much, and even then only handle it on occasion. But it's certainly safe to keep!

I am well versed in all aspects of the care and keeping of green iguanas, leopard geckos and bearded dragons. This includes all husbandry issues pertaining to the above species. I am not a vet so I cannot answer medical questions. I research other reptiles and am able to give general information on other species of lizards. I prefer not to answer snake questions as that I have not researched them enough.

I own 3 green iguanas, two of which are rescues. I own two leopard geckos, both rescues. I've had my reptiles for 11 years. I spend many hours researching the care of my reptiles to keep up to date on all information pertaining to keeping reptiles that I have. I own a yahoo group dedicated to raising healthy iguanas.

Scales and Tails Exotic Pet Rescue (one of the founding members)

One of the Co Authors of the Book "The Iguana Dens Care and Keeping of Giant Green Iguanas"

I was a Vet Tech for 6 years. Research, experience and learning from the experience of others that have raised reptiles for many years.