Reptiles/Wild Leopard Gecko

Tony wrote at 2013-07-09 11:27:19
On the contrary, it IS entirely possible that what you found was a leopard gecko, as leopards are common pets in America and virtually every animal known to mankind that's kept as a pet, IF it can survive in the wild, WILL eventually be introduced. So it's possible that formerly-captive leopard geckos were introduced to the ecosystem and have established a stable population.

But it's more likely that what you found was a Texas Banded Gecko or a Reticulate Banded Gecko. Both are native to Texas, rather than potential introduced species, and they look similar to leopards.

It's well past time for your decision on the matter, but as is the case with all house-kept geckos, you should keep the animal in a terrarium and let it adjust to your presence, its new environment, and your scent before you try handling it much, and even then only handle it on occasion. But it's certainly safe to keep!

Reptiles

Diane