Reptiles/bearded dragons

Can I get salmonella from contact with by beardie?

Hello Jack,

Salmonella is carried by most reptiles, but it tends not to affect them or us as it is in low levels.  It could compromise the health of individuals with suppressed immune systems.  
If you wash your hands regularly you are at a very low risk of contracting salmonella.
Honestly, a person has more of a chance contracting salmonella from handling raw chicken than from a reptile.
Let me know if you have more questions!

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.