Reptiles/Large Iguana and asmtha

JJ Watt
JJ Watt  
I have an adult Iguana that I have had for 4-5 years.  within the last year year and a half, I have become EXTREMLY allergic to the point it causes asmtha.  the last episode I had on plastic gloves and covered my mouth and nose to wipe his eating area and immediately began sneezing and having difficulty breathing.  long story short, my daughter was caring for him but now she is off to college.  any ideas or suggestions?  we are considering getting rid of him although we do not want to, he is just to cute...  any help would be much appreciated...  Also do you have any recommendations on selling him, we do not want to just give him to anyone we really are looking for a good home.  Thanks so much.

Hi Cheri,
It is not uncommon to be allergic to iguana scales!!  Just google the question and u will find dozens of cases of iguana allergies.  Have u tried taking zyrtec?  it's an allergy antihistamine medication.  Many iguanas, as they age, become extremely nasty.  it is so nice to hear that ur little guy is a pleasant iguana!!  It is sad because if u must give him away, these guys are severely neglected by inexperienced owners.  R u located in a warm climate?  If so, keeping him outside will def help.  U can try looking up an iguana rescue.  Or list him in the classifieds and interview the people who want to adopt him.  I am so sorry, I wish I could be of more help.  I am going to continue researching ur question, if I come up with anything, I'll let u know.

Thank you and good luck

cathy p.

I can answer mostly anything about Uromastyx.

I have owned 2 uros for 15 years.

Masters Degree in English Education.