Reptiles/my water dragon

I have a Chinese water dragon. I bought him as a juvenile probley about 4 months ago. He is about a foot and a half long with tail. When i woke up this morning to feed him, his face was swollen on the right side, and it looked like he has a cut in his mouth. I am very worried, he cant close his mouth all the way

Hello Jacob,

Did he possibly get bitten by a cricket which was left in his tank?  
What are his temperatures right now in the tank & do you use a UVB light?
Could he have injured himself some how?
How often are you using calcium for him?

I would keep him at a temperature around 80 over night in case it is an infection of some sort.
If he had a cut in his mouth, he could have scraped it on something in his tank.   Are there any sharp edges on branches in the tank?

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.