Reptiles/Blue tongue skink inquiry

My lizard
My lizard  
My blue tongued lizard has a small clear hole in his scale on his head. It is not an open hole or anything like that. He has had it ever since I bought him 4 years ago. His name is Chester.

Hi Brea,

Your question has a very interesting answer. Chester is fine and the clear scale you are seeing is completely normal. It is called the parietal eye or sometimes called the "third" eye. It senses light and helps reptiles to regulate their day, night and seasonal cycles. It also helps them to avoid predators approaching from directly above by detecting the shadows they produce.

This link has a bit more info.

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.