Reptiles/Skin problem with my leopard gecko

Skin problem 1
Skin problem 1  

Skin problem 2
Skin problem 2  
Not sure what this is, or how to treat. Can you help!? Thanks

Hi Stephanie,

I may need a bit more information. In the photos you provided (thank you!) I can see some  loose skin on his head and nose and his body colour looks quite dull. The toes also look a  little white. From those factors it actually just appears to be the start of a normal shed cycle. How long have you had your leo and have you witnessed him going through a shed before?
When was the last one approximately and was it complete. Are the white areas on his face left over from the last shedding cycle?

Leos can run into difficulties with shedding such as old retained skin on their head, eyes and toes. It is frequently caused by low humidity making it more common in the winter months.

Do you have a humid hide in his enclosure? They will usually seek out a more humid environment when they are in the early part of the shedding process. A humid hide can be something as simple as a margarine container with a small entry hole and a few layers of moist paper towel inside.

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.