Reptiles/crusty lips on a uromastyx

Aunt Shell wrote at 2014-09-16 02:58:33
Hello Everyone that loves their Uromastyx:

My 9 year old Baby Sandra gets this growth around her mouth terribly. I can't tell you what causes it, but I can tell you how  to get rid of it painlessly. She has had it for about 2 years. Like everyone else; it doesn't harm her in anyway, it's just ugly. She gets a lot of it and her substrate is sand. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Here's how to remove it and you don't have to do a thing; your lizard will remove it themselves.

I live in California and when it gets real hot I put Sandra outside in a long mesh tube and she loves it.  Sandra runs around in her tube and she rubs her jaws on the mesh and it gets rids of the growth, plain and simple. It's all gone and so much better than me taking it off. She has no abrasions or cuts on her lips.  I dab a little peroxide on her lips for a few day just in case.

I also use the tube to let Sandra out in the house.

You can get the pet tubes on the net for under 50 bucks and they fold down to a flat circle for storage.

That's it.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.