Reptiles/My Bearded dragon

Hi i got two female bearded dragons 5 days ago. They are both 6 weeks old and are eating crickets and the lighter 1 is also eating some veggies. However the other girl has been eating her crickets but no vegetables and has gone very dark on her underside. I was wondering if this is because of stress or something else.

Hi Hamish,

There can be natural variation in colour between hatchlings, even those from the same clutch.

Low temperatures or stress can cause an overall darkening (not just on the underside) but you would also notice a corresponding change in behaviour, usually lack of feeding.

I don't think it is anything you need to worry about. Lol, I don't think I ever thought to look at the undersides of the hatchlings back when I was breeding beardeds!
Focus more on their behaviour, specifically feeding and basking. It is not unusual for  6 week old beardeds to take primarily insects. The high protein diet at that age fuels their rapid growth. It often takes a bit of coaxing to get them to eat their veggies but the tendency to take  greens will increase as they age.

When you house more then one together you just have to make sure that there are no dominance issues. Even at that age, slightly smaller or shyer animals can be intimidated from eating or from accessing the basking area.

You mentioned that they are females but beardeds are virtually impossible to sex accurately at that young age. As they mature, just keep in mind that the sexing may not be accurate which may mean separating them at some point.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.