Reptiles/bearded dragon died. when is it safe to get a new one

so sydney my bearded dragon hadnt been eating since septemeber. at first i wasnt concerned as she wasnt losing any weight and was still pretty active and alert. but the past month i noticed she had lost quite a bit of weight and over the past week had become very lethargic.

now sadly i found her dead in her viv this morning and im devestated. i was planning on calling the vets today to have her put to sleep as i think she was suffering.

now im wondering when would it be safe to buy a new one. ive cleaned her viv out and will be buying some new things.

Hello Sarah,

I am sorry for your loss of your dragon.  That is so difficult to lose one.
It could have been from egg binding/stasis if she was old enough, metabolic bone disease or a worm/parasite issue, too.  
As long as you disinfect the tank prior to getting another one with a steamer, or bleach to water dilution.  You can also use novalsan or hibiclens for disinfection as well.
Be sure to air dry it very well after rinsing & any of the tank decor/wood items you can soak in warm water & let air dry.  The wood items, you can bake in the oven at 250 or so just to try & kill any bacteria.

I am sorry that you lost Sydney.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.