Reptiles/Juvenile Beardie - sudden behavior change

annecat wrote at 2013-01-08 02:44:57
Hi Tracie,

I will send you the full lab report on Wednesday but I do think that my post listed the key detail.

In terms of injury, when we purchased our Beardie (age:  2 weeks), he had a small break in his tail (mid-way) but the vet was not concerned about it.  That's the only thing we know for sure.  In terms of anything else happening, we are not aware.  We do have 2 young boys but they are mostly gently with the lizard.  

The vet did not do an X-ray.

He still has a jaw issue. He eats as if a large piece of something was in his mouth, even if it is a drop of water.  And sort of chews off to the side.  He just started doing this when we noticed him not using his hind legs.  Our vet thinks its related to the neurological problem.

Yes, we are using the Reptisun 10 tube.  And we are giving him calcium every day now.  He has good days and bad. This past weekend was good - he was eating 10 crickets/day.  Today, though, I could barely get him to eat 6.

I notice also that he is not responding to me.  I wave food up and down near his nose (he used to bob his head up and down) and now he just seems to stare off into space and doesn't even notice I'm there.  

Yesterday, I noticed him shutting his eyes in the middle of the day and bulging them out (he's not shedding)...and also opening his mouth as if he were yawning (not temp-regulating which I know is normal).

Its all so sad.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.