Reptiles/Iguana gender

Good morning. I have an Iguana that I need to give up for adoption. We are promised a great home in a small zoo with 3 other Iguana. But only if she is a Female! We are pretty sure but the vet at the Zoo isn't. can I send you pictures to receive your opinion? Thank you for your help. Best regards Johann

If the iguana is an adult, I can try.  I am not a green iguana expert, but I do know what to look for.  If the iguana isn't an adult, than even an expert may not be able to tell.  It's a bit concerning that a veterinarian can't tell the animal's gender.

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification