Reptiles/pet Slider turtle

Okay, so my fiance and i woke up this morning to this odd bubbling in our turtle tank. He immediately reached in to see what it was and he was shocked all the way up his arm. So naturally we unplugged everything and took my two little babies out of the tank. One was on their rock and she seems to be fine. Dora, however, was still in the water. She isn't moving much and won't come out of her shell more than to poke her nose up for air. I don't know what to do. We haven't had them long and she is still a baby.

Well, if she received an electrical shock, it might take her a while to recover.  I don't believe there's much that can be done about that, other than wait and see.

Be sure they have correct temperatures, UVB light, clean water, etc, and reduce stress as much as possible.  If she isn't acting normally by tomorrow, consult a vet.

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification