Reptiles/Type of Snake

What Snake
What Snake  
QUESTION: My husband and I recently toured Shark Valley in SW Florida.  The tram came across this snake, which the ranger identified as a python.  My husband and I believe the snake is actually a water moccasin.

What do you think?

ANSWER: lol, yeah, that's a cottonmouth.  Great job by that ranger.  Hope he doesn't try picking up any pythons, lol.

QUESTION: Really - he called it in to the office and they sent someone out to look for it.  Maybe they're still there looking for a python...(lol!)

This is a Burmese python:

It's extremely difficult for me to imagine how a park ranger could confuse these two animals.  One has to wonder what sort of training they're giving these people.

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification