Reptiles/Whites Tree Frog

Question
Hello! I have a 3 1/2 year old whites tree frog. He hasn't been eating good for over a month now. It didn't bother me at first because I live in Maine and last year he slowed down during the winter months and ate less, but this time he isn't eatting at all and he is constantly shedding his skin! Hes been shedding his skin daily for weeks. He has gotten very thin. I read online it could be a bacterial/fungal infection, but I don't have a vet in the area that helps frogs. I have gone to petco and they couldn't help me. I don't see any sores or any visible marks or lesions! I am afraid he will starve if I don't help him soon! Thank you, Angie

Answer
Hi Angie,

My understanding is that excessive shedding is more likely to be a symptom of a fungal infection rather then bacterial. The lack of lesions or petichia would also suggest that it less likely to be bacterial.

Finding a vet that will agree to see a frog is difficult. Finding one that has actual experience with amphibian patients is almost impossible. I generally don't like to suggest home treat but with amphibians there is often little choice.

To that end I have linked the best sites I know for treatment and dosage information.

This first one has good suggestions for hydration and supportive care in addition to dosage information.

http://www.jcu.edu.au/school/phtm/PHTM/frogs/papers/hadfield-2005.pdf

http://www.reptilechannel.com/frogs-amphibians/frog-and-toad-care/amphibian-drug

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/170104.htm

The following information for fungal treatment is taken from  ReptileZone.com

"You need to get Lamisil AT spray (donít get the paste) only. This is a foot fungus remedy for people found at most drug stores...

You need 1ml of the spray to 200 ml of treated water (approx 10 squirts ( 1ml) of spray into the treated water approx (6 1/2 ounzes) )........

Using a small plastic throw away type cup (any will do as long as you can get rid of it after). Place enough of the solution to cover most of the frog.

The trick here is to mist his head after he is in the cup or splash him or even a quick dunk of his head by turning the cup.. (whatever is easiest just donít dunk him under for long)... You only need to insure all of him gets the solution....

The dip is for 5 min so insure all the water etc is room temp or slightly warm the water before solution is added..this is just for the remainder of the frogs body... not the head... ( just do the head first and then let him stay in the solution for the 5 min dip)

While he is dipping this is a good time to clean the tank out....mist the solution in the tank and wipe out...no rinse required... Everything in the tank must be wiped with the solution... Then new paper towel replaced and items put back....

The treatment is for 10 days..... It must be followed to the T....

*Insure as you go that your hands are also kept clean from cross contamination... So when removing frog and putting in dish..wash your hands before going to the tank etc..
Some use gloves...

** The solution when mixed is only good for around 30 hours and then its potency decreases. Its supposed to last say 3 days of treatment.
I prefer a fresh solution each day but thats up to you... Fresh cup for the solution for the dip is vital.

*** So far no ill effects have been found with this method. It has proven effective however in killing the fungi.. You may notice more shed as with any treatment of medication dip...

**** Never place back plants or earth without sterilizing them.... I would just throw them. There is a heat method for plants but it does kill some.... To me its just not worth the risk... I would rather buy new plants and replant into sterile earth (cooked) and plants washed so insure they donít carry the fungi. It has been found at the bottom of ponds...

You can do multiple frogs easily also by using a bunch of cups and cleaning out enclosures..."  

Reptiles

Thea