Reptiles/Long tailed grass lizard eggs

Question
Hi my son has a community lizard tank with crested geckos, green anols,house geckos and long tailed grass lizards.. The long tailed grass lizard laid four eggs which my son said look good.. He didn't touch them just left them as is.. What should we do with the eggs?  Us there anything we might have around the house we can use? It's a long weekend and everything is closed tomorrow and our town doesn't have a pet store either.. We want to know what to put them in? What to put in with them? Should we put a closed small container back in tank under heat light so they are warm and nothing can get in with them? Please help we don't know what to do

Thanks
Michelle

Answer
Assuming you have both male and female long-tailed grass lizards, and thus believe the eggs are fertile, you may want to move them to an incubator.

A cheap way to set one up is to use a deep plastic tote, some bricks, a smaller plastic tote (to put the incubation medium and eggs in), and a submersible aquarium heater.  You'll also need a digital thermometer with a remote probe, and some vermiculite or perlite.

Fill it with water up to the bricks, moisten your vermiculite/water mix until it almost holds together when you squeeze it, and put the aquarium heater in the water. Let it warm for a day while you find the right temperature to achieve a steady 81 F inside the egg box (put the thermometer probe in the egg box), then put the eggs in the egg box.

Alternatively, buy a Hovabator still air model egg incubator, and put the smaller egg box with the media inside of that.  Play with the wafer thermostat for a day until the temps are right, and put the eggs in.  Check the temperatures daily, and beware that changes in room temp could change the interior temp of your incubator.

If your little Takydromas lizards are very dear to you, and you want maximum success, buy a proportional thermostat, and remove the wafer thermostat from the Hovabator.  Use the proportional thermostat instead, and it should be worry-free.

Temperature should be about 81 to 83F, and expect them to hatch in 6 or 7 weeks.

Some people just leave them in the cage, but there's a high risk that they, or the new hatchlings, will be eaten, if they do hatch there.  Babies will need pinhead crickets or flightless fruit flies, and their own setup (so they won't be eaten).  They will be tinier than you might think, and will need everything the adults need - UVB, heat source, etc.

Reptiles

Donna Fernstrom