Reptiles/bearded dragon tail rot

I have a three month old bearded dragon with tail rot up to his front elbow I have seen a vet I have given him him shots for two weeks of what I dont know and I am putting a cream on his leg also they gave me to keep it moist  I do not know what this stuff is called either the packages have been trashed

Hello Edward,

Which antibiotic shots did you give, what was it called & how much was given?
Did they give possibly a silver type of cream or ointment to put on it?
Do you have any pictures of him/her?
How did the infection come about, a cricket bite or a bite from a tank mate?

I would give probiotics such as non dairy acidophiliz or non dairy soy yogurt to help while he is on meds.  It is hard on their system especially when they are so young.

What is your tank setup like?  Are you using UVB lighting?  
What are the temperatures like in his tank?

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.