Reptiles/Injured Brown Anole

Hi! I'm so glad I could contact an experienced reptile pet owner. Tonight my cats found a Brown Anole in the house and attacked it. I was able to save it but I'm worried. For now because it is 12:42 AM, the only things I could do for it was put it in a shoebox, under the heating lamp in the bathroom, and give it water in a flat cap. The two front legs look...uhh not in the best shape but it can still walk/run. It is rather pale. I do have a fish tank somewhere in the house with a lamp which I can put it in later in the morning. I want to know what else I could do for it. I am very worried for it!

Here's the issue - while reptiles tend to be very hardy animals, cats' mouths are laden with extremely pathogenic bacteria.  If the lizard has any open wounds, and has been in a cat's mouth, it really will need antibiotics to have a fair chance.

I recommend contacting a wildlife rehabilitator asap.  

Anoles require quite a setup to remain healthy in captivity - UVB light, proper heat (80F air temp with 90F basking - controlled), 80% humidity, frequent misting to provide water (they will not drink from standing water, in most cases - they will lick up droplets from sprayed water).  At least a 10 gallon-sized enclosure for a single animal, with plenty of fake or non-toxic real plants for cover.  Insects (1/4 inch crickets, generally) must be dusted with calcium powder.

The best thing for the anole's chances is to see a vet for treatment, then be released as soon as it's recovered enough to fend for itself.

If the anole's skin hasn't been broken, it stands a better chance of recovery if provided with proper conditions.  If you can't provide all those things (and a setup may be a bit pricy), then it may be best to release it, and hope for the best.  (As a rehabber what they recommend).

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification