Reptiles/my water dragon

Hello mine name is ashton i have recently bout a water dragon and i have done plenty of research on them and i do believe that they are supposed to be green but i have had mine for a solid week and he is still brown when i bout him form petco he was brown he eats good he loves them crickets eats some lettuce and strawberries he is kinda lethargic he will just chill in his water bowl i keep his humidity at a steady 60 percent and heat at a good 83... He only like 3 inches in the body so he is still a baby not sure how old but him being brown concerns me... Is it because he is a juvenile or is something wrong?plz help

A photo would be helpful.  What you're describing of his diet, sounds like you may want to do a bit more research.  Lettuce is not generally recommended as a food for reptiles.  It's too low in nutrition, overall.  It's great that such a small water dragon will accept plant foods for you, though.

I would definitely need more details about your setup, including lighting, basking options, sixe of enclosure, whether or not he's handled, exactly how much he's eating, supplements, etc.

His being brown might be a sign of stress, but without more details, I couldn't guess.

Reptiles purchased from pet stores, especially large chain stores, have been subjected to quite a lot of stress, and may have been exposed to disease or parasites.  I recommend a veterinary checkup with a fecal exam for all reptiles purchased from pet stores.

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification