Reptiles/bearded Dragon

Hi Donna,
I recently took over Shen, a 5 year old bearded dragon.  I am more then likely not been patient but just wanted some advice. I have had her for 2 weeks now, I am trying my best for her to get used to me, I feed her 3 worms morning and evening, I talk to her as much as possible, she is in my lounge and has full view of the family. Everytime I attempt to touch her she "puffs" herself up, my last bearded dragon was so loveable and I could take her out, she loved been out her tank, slept in my lap etc. What I else can I do to get Shen to trust me to get to the stage I was with my previous one.

My husband says I should give it time. I am 18 weeks pregnant, not sure if she could sense that?

Any advice to get Shen to trust me would be appreciated!

Thank you,

It's only been 2 weeks...

Most reptiles need at least one full week (usually recommended that they not be handled at all during that time) just to get used to a new enclosure.  Give this one a couple of months to get used to the routines, and to you. :)

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification