Reptiles/best way to get my beardie to interact and used to being in the floor

asleep in my hand
asleep in my hand  
My name is Dana my bearded dragon is a little over two years old I got him right before he turned two. I am a beginner with a beardie but have handled and raised iguanas before. How can I get my beardie to interact with me better and get to where he will move around in my living room? Also how often can I give him a bath to help with shedding? Thanks in advance

Bearded dragons are known for being very docile and tolerant animals that are content to hang out with you for long periods of time...not so much known for running around.  I think they would find it a bit intimidating to be out in the open on the floor, though, especially with all of those big humans looming over them.  Iguanas are so much larger.

It's not necessary to bathe them.  Being desert animals, they don't require it.  I would not soak a bearded dragon more often than once a week, and be sure that no water gets into the nostrils.  Be sure they have water available in their cage.  They will get most of the water they need from their salad. :)  

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification