Reptiles/My leopard geckos is bright red like sunburn

Over the past week my gecko has stop eating his tail has turned bright red like sunburn and has been licking it like crazy I recently had to switch to a 150 bulb because my house was to cold and I couldn't get his cage above 85 now it is between 95-100. He is going to the vet tomorrow

Hello Rachil,

Do you have any pictures of his coloration?
Did you have an undertank heater that got too hot also?
I would turn the bulb off, if you have not done so already.  He most likely has been burned by too much heating in his tank.
YOu can use a ceramic heat emitter along with a lower wattage bulb to help with the temperatures.  He only needs an 88-90 hot spot.  Were you able to have a cooler end of 78-82?  
Have you been able to get some food into him, via syringe?  I would recommend using some chicken or turkey baby food with a plastic dropper or syringe to feed him right now to help with weight loss.  

Let me know how things go at the vets tomorrow.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.