Reptiles/Gecko bleeding from tail

Question
My gecko's tail came off and it has healed pretty well, but it started bleeding again.  Do I need to give it medical care?  What should I do?

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Alexa,

The muscles, skin ad blood vessels in the area where the tail naturally breaks away are adapted to minimize any blood loss and infection. The newly formed skin over the area will be a bit delicate however and more prone to injury.

Check the area for signs of infection such as redness, swelling or oozing. You can dab on a bit of antibiotic ointment as a precaution. I would also advise you to remove any loose particle substrate and replace it with paper towel at least temporarily until this injury has healed over.  

Reptiles

Thea