Reptiles/Type of snake

Question
snake on patio
snake on patio  
This snake was about to strike at my dog of 15 lbs.
I do no loke lilling snakes. This snake appeared on my patio after several hours / 3 plus inces of rain around 10am after our pool pump kicked on.
I live in sugar land texas. I think it is a moccasin but i am not 100% sure

Answer
It was "about" to strike at your dog? How do you know that? Was your first thought to remove the dog and then leave the snake alone? It *didn't strike your dog, but rather than leaving it be and giving it a respectable distance, you closed the distance and it appears that you attacked the snake and killed it. Is that correct? That would negate your apparent point that you don't like *killing them. Please clarify.  

Reptiles

Mick