Reptiles/leopard geckobowl training?

hi Tracie, My question is how do i get my leopard gecko to eat his food out of a little dish?I'm trying to raise up some crickets, and in the mean time i bought him freeze dried crickets. the problem is, he only goes after his food if it's moving in some way.What can i doto get him to eat them out of his food dish?

Hello Jay,

That is a great question.
Leopard geckos do not always go after food if it is not moving.  Are you not able to feed him any crickets or worms?
You can use worms & just place them in a bowl.  He should eat worms out of a bowl for you.
There is a diet called the Repashy gecko diet which he may like.  A lot of people use that to help supplement the diets, also.

How old is he?  Does he drink out of a water bowl?

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.