Reptiles/chinese water dragon diet

Question
I have seen a lot of sites and people that feed their dragons mice. Is this better for them, or just up to the owners choice, or the Dragon's preference. Like meal worms, or crickets. Thanx, I just took in a dragon that was eating worms, and crickets, but they ran out and didn't have the money to get more, and hasn't eaten in about a week. I can't get him to eat either of them now. I was wondering if I should try a pinkie mouse.

Answer
You may want to take the dragon to a veterinarian, if it hasn't eaten in a week, and is now refusing its normal food.

Water dragons can be fed insects (crickets, zophobas worms, silk worms, etc), earthworms/nightcrawlers (often sold for fishing), strips of fresh tilapia fish (not previously frozen), and mice or baby rats.  They also eat some vegetation - they're particularly fond of edible flowers, such as nasturtiums, dandelion flowers, etc. Some dragons like greens more than others - an iguana or bearded dragon salad mix may be accepted.  Usually only adult dragons will eat greens.

A reptile that has just been moved to a new home may need a week to settle in, but if you have a new photo, I may be able to tell you whether the dragon's body condition is something to be concerned about.  (In other words, whether you can afford to wait for him to adjust, or he needs immediate vet care).

Reptiles

Donna Fernstrom