When i was a kid i housed a jackson chamelon with a gecko (not sure if it was a crestie or not) but they got along just fine,  I was wondering if it would be OK to house them together again, as i'm older and can take better care (the chameleon died of dehydration and the gecko was given away then died a week later)

Hello Justi,

Normally I don't recommend mixing too many different species together as they are not always compatible behavior wise or husbandry wise.
Were they both females that you had previously?
Chameleons are extremely sensitive to external stimuli & to temperature & humidity.
Geckos depending on the type, need varying types of set ups.  

Also, you would have to consider the sex of them too as males absolutely should not be housed together.

I think chameleons are usually best housed alone or with their own kind.  
Geckos can be housed with a different type of gecko but with the same/similar type of set up though.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.