Hi! I bought this leopard gecko in April at that point it looked like a baby-small about a month old, purchased @(pet smart)now I would say it 4-5months old, last night I caught it trying to bite my bigger one on the neck which it never does so I was surprised at that,at that time was when I noticed a red fleshy sac hanging out from underneath it to the side- no blood.It did eat worms and crickets, it had an appetite and went to the bathroom#2.(I have noticed it drinking water more than usual, usually I never see it drinking, but have seen it now at the bowl often about 3x.) I took it out and put it in another tank last night so it wouldn't fight with the other one. Its original tank is very long, and big I have the gecko rug down in half of the tank the other half is bare tank, it likes to be in a paper towel roll all the time. I don't use sand or anything it can get constipated/impacted with.Today its still there I put it in a warm bath and attempted to put some peroxide water on it and push it back in its still there though, I don't have the finances to take it to a vet, so any free suggestion/help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds as though your gecko has a prolapsed cloaca.  This will be deadly if not replaced.  If it has not dried out, you can try a sugar paste solution - mix a little water into sugar to form a gritty paste, and apply to the exposed tissue.

If you are not able to replace the prolapse within 12 hours, then your gecko must see a veterinarian, whether you can afford it or not.  (Veterinary care is part of the responsibility of pet ownership, and leaving painful conditions untreated is both unethical and illegal).

The root cause of the prolapse may be intestinal parasites, which will need to be treated (again, a veterinary visit and a fecal exam will be required to do this, you can't do it at home).  Reptile ownership, like ownership of any pet (such as a cat or dog) comes with certain responsibilities, and medical care is one of them.

Reptiles from pet stores have been stressed, and may carry parasites or disease, so it's always advised to acquire them from breeders, not from stores.

Quarantine all new reptile pets in a separate enclosure for at least 3 months before introducing them to your collection. During this time, test for parasites, and observe for health issues.  If you place an infected animal in with a healthy one, both will need to be treated.

I base the above on your description - if the gecko is over 6 months old and male, it might be a prolapsed hemipene, though I wouldn't call that a 'fleshy sack'.  If so, the treatment is the same - a sugar paste solution may shrink the tissue and allow it to retract, but if not, it will need to be seen by a vet (who will probably amputate the hemipene).

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification