Reptiles/Poorly leopard gecko?

My male leopard gecko has been acting strange lately. He's about 11months old. His colours and his shedding is fine. Tank is clean. Temperature is fine. I have stones (whatever their called) for his substrate. He keeps digging holes in the corner of the tank and he keeps scratching the window like he wants to get out. I let him out for a bit then I put him back in and he does it again. He also keeps refusing his food too...Also he has a little kind of air bubble by his armpit. Is he ill or is it normal?
P.S he has never met a female gecko if that helps?

Hi Tamica,

At eleven months your leo has reached sexual maturity and the behaviour you describe sounds typically hormonal. It is currently breeding season and he is essentially a teenager.

Male reptiles often become very restless and constantly seem to be trying to escape their enclosure during this time. They often stop eating as well. With some species you may notice increased aggression. It will pass in a few weeks at most.

The bubbles behind the front legs are extremely common. I have heard varying theories as to their cause but none from a definitive veterinary source.

They may be calcium (and fluid) based or possibly protein. That area is also where fat stores accumulate. They usually come and go and may be related to the use of supplements but are nothing to worry about.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.