Reptiles/Snack in kitchen

My wife found this snake in our kitchen today and I would like to put her mind at rest by identifying it.  I have attached an image.  Please help

Well, it looks like a baby kingsnake.  (I'm also glad it's alive, so many photos where people say 'please identify this' are of deceased snakes. :( No need to kill them).

The Eastern Kingsnake, Lampropeltis getula getula, is a common harmless species where you live.  It's a friendly little guy to have around, because, like most kingsnakes, these snakes prefer to eat... other snakes. :)  So, this is a snake that you want to encourage around your property, if you are concerned about encountering venomous species; the kingsnakes will eat them.

This is also one of the most commonly kept pet snakes in the US, and possibly the world.  (These are rarely collected from the wild any longer, as extensive captive breeding for color and temperament has occurred - I don't believe Ohio allows collecting of them at all, so best to release him promptly, if you haven't already).

Since it's a baby, it might also be Lampropeltis getula niger, the black kingsnake; if so, it will lose the banding by the time it's an adult.  Black kingsnakes have similar habits and food preferences to the Eastern kingsnakes.

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification