Reptiles/Surprise Eggs, Need Help!

Female Bearded Dragon
Female Bearded Dragon  

We have a 2 year old female and male bearded dragon with a eco-carpet substrate. We found the female in their tree hideout with 18 eggs. Although every egg was infertile. Now the female bearded dragon has severe swelling and bruising around her vent. Im not sure if this is normal. I heard that eggs can burst inside the female without the correct substrate for her to lay in, but she seemed to find a spot to lay the 18 eggs in the tree hideout. Is this a normal occurrence after laying eggs or is something severely wrong with her?

Hello Ben,

She appears pretty thin.  Is she eating again since she has just laid infertile eggs?
This can be somewhat common, a slight prolapse & or swollen vent area.  Did she seem to strain laying eggs at all or were you able to see her lay any of them?   
They can have a ruptured follicle, correct, from a number of reasons from nutritional issues, egg binding, genetics.  
What type & brand of UVB are you using?  How often do you give calcium right now?  At the moment, she should be receiving calcium 4-5 times per week to help her replace what she has just lost.  

Are they housed together?
Have you bathed her to see if that helps her out a little bit?  You can get some ky jelly or vaseline to gently rub onto that area right now.  Has she gone to the bathroom since she has laid?
The swelling should begin to subside pretty soon.  

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.