Reptiles/texas tree lizard

we have a tree lizard in the back yard which we have been feeding fruits and vegetables. is that harmless?

Assuming you mean Urosaurus ornatus, of course it is harmless.  The only significantly venomous lizards are the gila monster and beaded lizard, and perhaps the Komodo dragon.

If you're asking whether feeding it fruits and vegetables is harmless, I would say it's more pointless, since this species is insectivorous. :)  Like many arboreal lizards, I suppose it might lick a bit of sweet flower nectar or lick a piece of fruit once in a while, but that doesn't make up any real part of its diet. They eat insects, spiders, etc.  Most small lizards eat only insects.

Now, if you aren't sure of the species of lizard, and are just calling it a tree lizard because it's living in a tree, I might be able to tell you more with a photograph of it.

Donna Fernstrom

My particular focus is on snakes and lizards, but I have a decent smattering of knowledge of turtles and crocodilians as well, plus the experience to get relevant information quickly if I don't have it on hand in my brain. I can answer questions on captive care, diet, breeding, incubation of eggs, starting hatchlings, and more. I am particularly experienced with ball pythons, Lygodactylus geckos and other small lizards with similar care requirements, leopard geckos, and garter snakes.

I am a professional breeder of ball python morphs, Lygodactylus (dwarf) geckos, and mourning geckos. I have begun working with Irian Jaya carpet pythons, and plan to expand to include more gecko species in the future. I also have a background breeding leopard geckos, and have kept several other species of small lizards, snakes, and a water turtle.

Nebraska Herpetological Society (

I have many care sheets published on my own website.

High School Graduate. Extensively self-taught due to high interest in wildlife and reptile care.

Fauna Classifieds board of inquiry Good Guy Certification