Reptiles/Uromastyx Injured

Question
HELP!  Yesterday as I was holding my nigerian uromastyx, I wiped his nose to remove the salt and he flailed a bit in protest.  When I put him down again he was dragging his legs and his tail was on an opposite curve causing his tummy to rub on the ground and his legs almost looked paralyzed ...they were moving but awkwardly.  He had a tough night sleeping because of his leg difficuly, he had to keep waking up to adjust. This morning he is still bent wrong but I think I have narrowed it down to it being his right hind leg.  He is really worrying me.  I have had him for 1.5 years and He is housed in a 90 gallon tank with plenty of hiding places and is usually a fantastic eater, sleeper and is very social.   He is still being social and I think he ate today, but the leg is really hindering his ability to walk and he looks like he is in pain (because when I touch it, he flinches)....when he sits and basks he seems fine except his right leg is not paralell to the left one anymore.  I cannot afford a vet as it costs $350 to examine him and do exrays plus more for treatment and I just cant afford it.  I need some expert advise on how I can help him...please!!!!

Answer
Hello Pat,

I am sorry to hear about your uro being injured!
Did he hurt himself when he was struggling in your lap?  Or was he limping prior to that episode?

Are you using a UVB light & if so, which light is it?  Is it a fluorescent tube or a compact/coil light?  
How often do you give calcium for him?  
Does he have any other bone abnormalities such as a curve in the spine, etc?  
His tank setup sounds great!  Do you have any pictures of him along with your tank setup that you could send?
I am sorry he didn't sleep well, it sounds like he may be in some pain possibly.  Is he still restless today?

He has probably just strained it & not broken it.  Is it swollen at all or can you tell?
He is basking normally also?  What are the temperatures in the tank kept at?
Can you find serrapeptase up in Canada?  It is silkworm enzyme which is helpful in reducing pain, swelling & inflammation due to injury.  You may be able to find it online but if you aren't able to find it, let me know.  I sell it online in my reptile store.

For now, can you lower his basking spot/area to reduce the distance he has to climb when he is basking?  That can help decrease stress & pain from using the leg.  

Let me know how he is doing.
Thanks,

Tracie

Reptiles

Tracie Kretzschmar