Reptiles/blue tongue skink passed away

Lisa wrote at 2013-07-15 23:51:31
He was on the batyril for about a week and I stopped by the vet today to ask more.  He said that it was a strong dose and should have cleared up his resp. infec.  The 2 topicals were muciropen and gentak.  The blood test results showed no sugar and low protein in the blood.  The vet said he may have had a bone infection; he's not sure.  I am doing a little better over the loss, but it is hard.  I really did love him even though he was a lizard who didn't appreciate much handling.  He had beautiful eyes and basically I spent years in his company.  The last few weeks this illness just really flared up and that was hard to watch and not fun trying to get him to drink and eat from an eye dropper.  I greatly appreciate your understanding - he couldn't go on just like so many other folks and animals that are sick and I can't blame myself.  For other animals, I have a ferret (with adrenal disease just treated), corn snake (5 feet), and a bearded dragon with metabolic bone disease that I rescued (couldn't walk doing great now).  My name is Lisa I used my husband's email.

Lisa wrote at 2013-07-16 01:30:34

I forgot to tell you that I also have a dog (mastiff/ridgeback the rescue thinks).  Thanks for offering to look at the blood test but I don't have it and only know those 2 bits of info. about it.  Now that he's passed, I think I should let that go.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.