Reptiles/turtle help

I have a pet turtle, shes a red eared slider. She is about 7 years old but my question is when I was cleaning her tank I found this oval white object and inside was this thick liquid. I don't know what it is to be honest :/ Please answer back as quickly as possible thanks.  -Alex

Hi Alex,

That certainly fits the description of an egg. Female reptiles will lay eggs without being bred. The shells are leathery rather then brittle like chicken eggs. The eggs are porous so it would have absorbed water from the tank. Was there anything that looked like a yolk inside as well?

There should be more then one egg though. Turtles lay their eggs in sandy soil but will retain them if a suitable spot is not available. That is something you want to avoid. Try to provide her with an area of soil to encourage her to lay.  

I can answer questions on the proper husbandry and diet of Iguanas, bearded dragons, geckoes, skinks, chameleons, tortoises, box turtles, treefrogs, non-venomous snakes and tarantulas. Also the breeding of some species of feeder insects. I have no experience with venonmous snakes and only limited experience with aquatic turtles.

I have been keeping and breeding reptiles for over 30 years. In addition to my regular job in the medical field I also worked for several years in a pet store that specialized only in exotics. The job entailed both caring for and answering questions on innumerable species. It required constant, extensive research into a wide range of reptiles. I have been called to appear on televised national media (CBC, CTV and Life Channel) as well as CBC radio to discuss the proper care of reptiles and other exotics in captivity. I currently own one or more species of those listed under my expertise with the exception of chameleons. I owned chameleons for years but keep none currently. I keep over 20 snakes comprising 5 species, both Colubridae and Boidae. I bred corn snakes for several years. I have a particular interest in treefrogs and currently have 5 different species. I've raised redfoot tortoises for 10 years and have two iguanas, one for 12 years.

A small and now defunct local magazine called "Pet Vue"

Diagnostic medical microbiology with some parasitology experience.