Reptiles/black head

QUESTION: I'm worried bout my iguana. He's about 3 months old. On the top of his head its black and I read that its cuz he was about to shed. But he did shed but some of the blackness is still ther and I'm worried something is wrong I'm 19 and I can't afford to take him to the vet I'm really worried

ANSWER: Hello Mandi,

Tank is georgous!  He has great coloration.  :-)

The darkness or grayish coloring is likely due to a shed.  He hasn't been burned has he?
It doesn't look typical of a burn.  When they are getting ready to shed, their skin turns
dark, then lightens up & turns whitish before they shed it off.  
What is his set up like, the lighting & heating?  How often do you supplement calcium for him?
Are you using UVB lighting & if so what type & brand is it?
What are the humidity levels in his tank?

his tank
his tank  
QUESTION: That's after his shed. It was much blacker before his shed though.I have a UVA light right now. I didn't have the money to get him a double dome and a UVB light till now . Since I don't have UVB right now I sit him in the sun .I give him supplements every morning when I give him his food. Humidity is usually around 75 or 80.

ANSWER: Hello Mandi,

He could have retained shed possibly.  The humidity is great then.  
Is he getting sun through glass or screen?  Remember that UVB rays wont go through glass though unfortunately.
You will need to get him a Reptisun 10 tube bulb or an Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb for UVB emissions.  Iguanas are very prone to getting metabolic bone disease as they grow rather quickly & are larger reptiles, too.  
If you have the money, go to  & check into the High Output T5 tube bulbs for great emissions.  Or you can consider a regular Reptisun 10 tube bulb with an Arcadia D3 12% mercury vapor bulb for best results.  

Let me know how he is doing.

QUESTION: I open my window and he itsin the ray of the sun. Ove looked into both but Idk how that would work with the. y tank that I have

Hello Mandi,

That is good the window is open so he gets full sunlight.  
How long is your tank?  You could get a 2 foot light fixture for the tube bulb, or just use the ceramic dome to put the mercury vapor bulb in.
How tall is the tank?

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.