Reptiles/Chinese Water Dragon Mouth Rot

We have a chinese water dragon that, from everything i have researched, seems to have contracted mouth rot. We have been feeding her squished up mealworms and water thru a syringe, as she completely stopped eating and lost a lot of weight, and soaking her in half pedialite/half water to keep her hydrated, which seemed to help a bit. I was laid off and have been looking for a job for quite a while so absolutely cant afford a vet visit right now. Is there anything else i can do to help keep her as healthy as possible until i can get her into a vet (about a month away)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Hello Jessi,

Do you have any pictures of the mouth area I could see possibly?
What are her temperatures in the tank currently & do you use a temp gun or a digital probe to measure the temperatures?
What type & brand of UVB are you using?  Is it a tube bulb or a compact/coil light?

You are doing the feeding correctly, using the mealworms & water.  You can also get some chicken or turkey baby food too for some variety if she is not eating on her own.  Are you cleaning her mouth out with a diluted betadine solution to help with infection?  
Do you have a large water bowl/fountain or dish for her?

You can add some bee pollen into the mix to help with her immune system, too.  Keep her tank around 80 over night to help with her immune system too by using a ceramic heat emitter or heating pad on low.

Let me know how she is doing.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.