Reptiles/eating skin??

My swift is shedding and pulling his skin off and eating eat he never done that before is it okay and is he gonna get sick?he has plenty of stuff to rub's a picture I also spray the cage more than often during his shedding times.

Hello Porsher,

That is a great picture of your swift & his shedding.
Eating their skin is a relatively normal thing for them to do.  It definitely wont hurt him.  He may actually get some nutrition out of it, such as calcium, D3 or minerals.  How large of a piece did he eat?
I honestly wouldn't worry too much, it will pass through him what is left of it.  He probably wont make a habit out of it but it is ok that he ate a piece of his shed though.
Is he getting enough calcium?  Sometimes that can be an indication of needing more calcium, as they will look for calcium sources in their environment if they are not getting enough.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.