Reptiles/Bearded Dragon 2 years old

My Beardie is about 2 years old. I had it for about 8 months now. I recently built a new wooded cage with a glass front. I fitted a galvanized IBR sheet at the back (onto the wood) as backing.The cage is about 1m wide, 1m high and 800mm to the back. I currently only have a 50W Repti Zoo spot, a 100W Infra Red Basking Light (Max Heat) and a med size heatpad in the cage.

My Beardie does NOT eat at all now. I am concerned about the lighting and lack of UVB exposure my beardie should be getting.

What do you suggest I get and replace at this stage to immediately improve her standard of living?

I also read about the feeding and required diets, but I am not sure as to how to prepare this for her. Can you please assist me here?

Thanks, Anton

Hello Anton,

How is your dragon today?
Do you have a picture of her along with her tank as well?
What type & brand of UVB light are you using, is it a fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light?
How old is the UVB light that you have?  
The basking light needs to be a bright white light for her instead of an infrared light.  That type isn't quite bright enough for them.
Are you using a digital probe or temp gun for measuring the temps?  

I would get either the Reptisun 10 tube bulb or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb for good quality UVB lighting for her.  It will need to be 6-8 inches from her mounted alongside of a bright white basking light.
How often do you give calcium for her?

Let me know how she is doing.

Tracie Kretzschmar

I can answer questions pertaining to health, UVB specifics, overall husbandry care & supplementation, analysis of blood test results, and behavioral problems & handling. I can answer questions pertaining to bearded dragons, leopard geckos, iguanas, uromastyx & ball pythons. I can answer adeno virus related questions in bearded dragons, & then specifically about the testing methods as well. I am beginning an Pogona Adeno Testing Society in 2008 which will help to begin to start some standardization within the bearded dragon colonies of the breeders who choose to test.

I have been working with bearded dragons for over 5 years now, as well as leopard geckos, too. I am currently doing rescues, as well. I hope to be able to educate people prior to them purchasing an exotic pet in order to avoid any health crisis with them.

I have a master's degree in sports medicine & physiology, & 1 year of vet tech schooling, & am currently working on a reptile certification through the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council.